Taika Waititi's World War 2 Nazi-Satire Film 'Jojo Rabbit'

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 am

Has Begun Production

Description:

The story centers on Jojo, a young boy who longs to be part of the Hitler Youth and whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler. He discovers a Jewish girl living in his attic and, after initially trying to find ways to get rid of her, begins to see her as human.

Starring:
Taika Waititi (as Adolf Hitler)
Scarlett Johansson (as Resistance Fighter)
Sam Rockwell (Hitler Youth Camp Captain)
Thomasin McKenzie
Rebel Wilson
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Sounds very....touching?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Taika Waititi's World War 2 Nazi-Satire Film 'Jojo Rabbit'

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm

wags83 wrote:Sounds very....touching?
I have faith because of the director, but otherwise this sounds horribly distasteful
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am

Fox Searchlight does interesting stuff. I'll watch this.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

That actually looks kind of fun. Weird to say that about a nazi movie.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 am

Out this weekend. Reviewing pretty well on RT
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 am

DVD release is tomorrow, but it came out on digital a couple weeks ago. We watched over the weekend.

What a great movie. This movie blends comedy and drama so well. The first act of the movie is hilarious at the boys camp, but things get so gosh darn serious later in the movie. The movie showed how silly the Nazi ideology is, but also how damaging it was.

Yorki may be my favorite secondary character of 2019. That kid is hilarious. All of the child actors/actresses in the movie were superb and I can't wait to see what they do in the future, but the kid playing Yorki was just amazing. I loved his look, his accent, his delivery, everything. Hard to believe this was his first acting job.

Okay. I need to talk spoilers.
► Show Spoiler
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:24 pm

I forgot to post in here, we also watched this over the weekend. Had kind of a Scarlett Johansson weekend with this and Marriage Story.

Anyway, I really liked this. It was cute and funny but also had some seriously sad/serious parts. Taika Waititi as Hitler was hilarious every time he was on screen. The image of one of the most evil men in history as a child's fun-loving imaginary friend gets me every time. I also enjoyed Rebel Wilson's character's unquestioning loyalty to the Nazi cause. "I've had 18 babies for Germany".

Glass, I agree with everything you said about Yorki. I laughed every time he was on screen. Just the fact that he somehow kept avoiding death but still kept his childlike naivety and matter-of-fact demeanor was hilarious. He even has a line toward the end of the movie "Somehow they couldn't kill me" or something like that, and I burst out laughing because I was thinking that the whole time. Add in that he's a chubby, nerdy kid with coke-bottle glasses and it's perfect.

Regarding your spoilers
► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Had kind of a Scarlett Johansson weekend with this and Marriage Story.

And nominated for an acting Oscar for both movies. An hour or so into the movie I didn't understand why she was nominated for Jojo, but the scene where she played the mom and dad was good. I still think Marriage Story is a much stronger performance for her.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I laughed every time he was on screen. Just the fact that he somehow kept avoiding death but still kept his childlike naivety and matter-of-fact demeanor was hilarious. He even has a line toward the end of the movie "Somehow they couldn't kill me" or something like that, and I burst out laughing because I was thinking that the whole time.

"It's like I can't die!"

wags83 wrote:Source of the post But a closeted gay, wanna-be fashion designer doesn't exactly scream "Nazi" in the first place.

Lol. He had a good arc. Him and Reek for sure had to be secret lovers, or wanted to be, so it makes sense how he could sympathize with the Jewish people.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post "It's like I can't die!"

Lolz, that's what it was!

Return to “Movies”