Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Marriage Story | Netflix - Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, Adam Driver

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 am

A stage director and his actor wife struggle through a grueling, coast-to-coast divorce that pushes them to their personal and creative extremes.

https://youtu.be/VfBSbgaqPr8
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:04 pm

We watched this movie yesterday. I knew I wanted to see it, but I didn't want to sit through a 2.25 hour drama about divorce. I'm glad I did. This movie was so good...in a painfully sad kind of way.

Adam Driver and ScarJo will both get Oscar noms for this movie. ScarJo will probably win her category if she does. Both performances are amazing. So much emotion in their scenes.

This movie is all dialogue. It makes you feel happy at times...but usually not, but it certainly makes you feel something throughout. There is some humor, but I wouldn't call it a comedy. Most of the humor just comes from how ridiculous the divorce process is for the couple going through it and how mundane it is for the lawyers.

I really want to talk more about this movie because it is so atypical for me to enjoy something like this, but I don't want to spoil anything. It really is just a slice of life movie about a couple going through a divorce, but the story, acting, and dialogue is so good. The movie constantly has you taking sides...but then changing...and then changing back.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:56 pm

Erin and I watched this last night. Man, this is probably the best movie that I didn't enjoy. It's a super good movie - acting is great and the story is told really well. But damn, I didn't enjoy myself at all. It's just more and more stressful and sad throughout. There are a few moments of comic relief, but for the most part is just beating you down with increasingly worse situations. I found myself hating and rooting for both characters at different times throughout the movie and in the end, had they just done it the way they originally talked about, it would have saved them both a lot of time, grief, and money.

If I had to describe this movie in two words, they would be "relentlessly upsetting."
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 am

I'm glad someone else watched it and appreciated it.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Man, this is probably the best movie that I didn't enjoy.

I can say I enjoyed it, but it was for the art, not the feel-good story.

Return to “Movies”