Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Re: MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Slowly rolling out the peak pricing. I assume I'll rarely be effected by it so idc, as long as it means MoviePass gets to stay around because of it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Slowly rolling out the peak pricing. I assume I'll rarely be effected by it so idc, as long as it means MoviePass gets to stay around because of it.

Thanks for letting me know. I heard a rumor earlier today, but now that it's on CPT, I can finally confirm it.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 am

Engadget says that peak pricing only affects customers w/ monthly plans and new annual subscribers. Customers with annual passes won't be suspect to it until their subscription renews.
Travis

Postby Travis » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:33 pm

So will I be safe on my movie pass card. I got my card in April
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: MoviePass - $9.95/month for unlimited theater movies

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Travis wrote:So will I be safe on my movie pass card. I got my card in April
You'll be safe from surge pricing because you live in Sheldon.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am

Peak pricing was fully rolled out this weekend. Any showtime I looked up for a movie that was new or recently new had peak pricing over the weekend. Price ranged from +$3 - $4.50. I'm not cancelling yet though, I would like to see how they react to the outcry.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Peak pricing was fully rolled out this weekend. Any showtime I looked up for a movie that was new or recently new had peak pricing over the weekend. Price ranged from +$3 - $4.50. I'm not cancelling yet though, I would like to see how they react to the outcry.

Last night at 9:30pm Hotel Transylvania was surge pricing at the local small theater. Ant-Man was not surge Friday at 2:00 when we went and it was in an almost sold out auditorium in the largest theater in town. Makes no sense.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Peak pricing was fully rolled out this weekend. Any showtime I looked up for a movie that was new or recently new had peak pricing over the weekend. Price ranged from +$3 - $4.50. I'm not cancelling yet though, I would like to see how they react to the outcry.

We cancelled because of this yesterday. We are switching to the AMC offering as we almost exclusively go to weekend showings. I moved my account over to it yesterday and am seeing Skyscraper today in Dolby Cinema (which is awesome if you've never gone to one). Online ticketing/being able to go to IMAX/Dolby Cinema is going to be well worth the price increase (although it'll likely end up being cheaper than MoviePass with peak pricing and our viewing habits).
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am

I have no clue how they calculate peak pricing. We went to the theater on Saturday and almost every showing was peak pricing, EXCEPT the movie we were going to (Sorry to Bother You). We checked in and the theater was damn near full, we got one of the last pairs of seats and ended up in the 2nd row from the front. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we didn't have to pay more but I'm really not sure how that wasn't considered peak. I won't cancel yet because we don't go to weekend movies too terribly often, but if we have to start paying peak prices on weekdays that'll be another story.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I have no clue how they calculate peak pricing. We went to the theater on Saturday and almost every showing was peak pricing, EXCEPT the movie we were going to (Sorry to Bother You). We checked in and the theater was damn near full, we got one of the last pairs of seats and ended up in the 2nd row from the front. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we didn't have to pay more but I'm really not sure how that wasn't considered peak. I won't cancel yet because we don't go to weekend movies too terribly often, but if we have to start paying peak prices on weekdays that'll be another story.

Peak pricing is calculated by region (and no one knows what the regions are).
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post We cancelled

Based on what I read on Reddit you aren't the only one to cancel over the weekend. MoviePass must be worried.

Corey wrote:Source of the post Dolby Cinema

I haven't, but Norm on Tested has talked about them. Said a single ticket is the price of a month of the AMC subscription
Travis

Postby Travis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Went to two movies this weekend end did not noticed peak pricing , but did have to take a pic of my Receipt
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Just had to pay nearly $4 for Hotel Trans 3. There are only 4 other people in the theater. This is dumb.

Normal ticket is $6 for this showtime.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:57 pm

That's really atupid
Tyler wrote:Just had to pay nearly $4 for Hotel Trans 3. There are only 4 other people in the theater. This is dumb.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Just had to pay nearly $4 for Hotel Trans 3. There are only 4 other people in the theater. This is dumb.

That's the kind of thing that will make me cancel Moviepass.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 am

Sinking my life savings into it, there is nowhere else to go but up!
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:12 am

Moviepass is failing faster than expected. I'll likely be unsubscribing soon....

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/27/media/ ... index.html
MoviePass couldn't afford to pay for movie tickets on Thursday

MoviePass is on life support.
Helios and Matheson, the parent company of the popular movie subscription service, said that it had a service outage on Thursday because it couldn't afford to pay for movie tickets. The company borrowed $5 million in cash Friday to pay its merchant and fulfillment processors, according to a regulatory filing.

Helios and Matheson missed a payment to one of its fulfillment processors, and that contractor temporarily refused to process payments for MoviePass.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:14 am

Also we noticed that almost every movie was in surge pricing last night at the theater we go to. Including an 8:30pm Thursday night showing of Hotel Transylvania 3, a kids movie that has been out for 2 weeks.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Wow. You won't need to unsubscribe soon, because they will be closing down before that. I'll ride it out and complain when I pay surcharge

Return to “Movies”